You learn new things. You appreciate new things. (And you work hard to keep up relationships!)
It was such a mix moving away from MN to marry. Of course it was worth it; but still, uprooting a whole life in one metro area is never going to be easy. And as a Minnesotan, I didn't think Iowa had that much to offer... I can't speak for all Minnesotans, but for the most part, we think Iowa is a-l-l corn. Like row after row after row. I never pictured lakes, hills, or more cities than 2 or 3.
I'm pleasantly surprised.
It's just a state away, but life is different when you change churches, change jobs, change who you hang out with.
My dad asked me, "So what have you found that is different in Iowa?" I realized the whole "sports scene" is different. In Minnesota you cheer for Minnesota teams: Twins, The Wild, The Gophers, etc. In Iowa you cheer for either the Hawkeyes or Iowa State football teams (of course they have other sports they watch, but then they just cheer for whoever they have some kind of ties with). Something as simple as sports is just a little different here.
Twins Game with my Dad
Hearts in different places is never easy. It's never what you want (unless it's a great place to visit ;). I'm so thankful those hearts are kind and loving and work to keep a relationship with me.
If home is where the heart is...
I have a lot of homes.
P.S. I still like MN's State Fair butter princess better than IA's State Fair butter cow. So many differences to get used to. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment